Our Mission and Roles
Empowering Voters. Defending Democracy.
Find out more by visiting these other League Organizations
We never support or oppose any political party or candidate
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate. The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
Our Vision, Beliefs and Intentions guide our Activities
Voters Service/Citizen Education: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues. Action/Advocacy: we are also nonpartisan, but, after study, we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest. To conduct our voter service and citizen education activities, we use funds from the League of Women Voters Education Fund, which is a 501(c)(3) corporation, a nonprofit educational organization. The League of Women Voters, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation. Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions guide our activities.
Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions
The principles that guide our organization
The goal of the League of Women Voters is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political membership organization which:
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization which:
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process
- studies key community issues at all governmental levels in an unbiased manner
- enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.