Voting and Elections

Volunteer sign up for Voter Registration Events

Voter Information

Find the facts about voting in your state at Indiana polls are open from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. District boundaries vary for elective offices such as state senator/representatives, county commissioners/councils, city councils, townships, and school boards.

Local precinct polling places are printed in the newspaper near election time. You can also contact the Voter Registration office, 747-7812, or visit to find your precinct polling place. You must vote at the correct precinct.

To vote, you must be registered at your current address and have a valid photo ID. If you have moved since the last election you will need to notify the Board of Election and Registration of your new address at least 30 days prior to the election.

Be sure to bring a photo ID that meets the requirements described by the Secretary of State’s photo ID web site.(See Photo ID requirements under “Register to Vote”)

If you are unable to vote in person on Election Day you have the option to vote in person before Election Day at the County Building, 100 W. Main. The election room on the 1st floor. Absentee voting begins 29 days before Election day from 8:00am to 4:30pm and ends at noon the day before the election.

You can request an absentee ballot by mail if you meet one of the following conditions:

1) You expect to be absent from Delaware County during voting hours on Election Day.

2) You are disabled.

3) You are 65 or older.

4) You are an election official for a precinct other than you own.

5) You are scheduled to work for the entire 12 hours the polls are open.

6) You will be confined due to illness or injury on Election Day or are the caretaker of such a person.

7) You are prevented from voting on Election Day for religious reasons.

8) You participate in the state’s confidential address program.

To vote absentee-by-mail, send a completed application to the Delaware County Election Board by midnight of the Monday a week prior to Election Day, by mail or fax. The board will process it and mail you an absentee ballot if it is approved. You may mail the completed ballot to the county Election Board, or you, a member of your immediate household, or your attorney-in-fact may hand-deliver your ballot. However, it is against the law to have any other person deliver a completed ballot. Be sure you sign and date your absentee ballot envelope.

You must qualify under #2 or 6 above to vote absentee-by-traveling-board. Complete an application as described above. A bipartisan absentee voting board will deliver your ballot and assist you with completing it, if needed. They will return it to the Election Board for you.

This information is from the Delaware County Board of Election and Registration, which administers all county and municipal election activity. The Delaware County Board of Election and Registration is located in the County Building, 100 W. Main Street, Muncie. Both offices are located on the second floor by the elevator and are open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm.

For more information, or to find out where to vote call (765) 747-7812 or (765) 747-7726.


Register To Vote

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name?

You must register in order to vote. If you are an Indiana resident and a US citizen, age 18 by General Election Day, you may register if you meet the following criteria:

1) you will be a resident in your precinct at least 30 days before the election, even if your residence is non-traditional, such as an RV or a shelter.

2) You are not incarcerated after being convicted of a crime.

3) You furnish a valid US Government or Indiana State government issued photo ID when applying in person or enclose a photocopy when applying by mail. (see below)

4) you apply to register at least 30 days before Election Day and your application is approved. Registration closes 30 days before elections.

You do not have to re-register unless you change you name or residence. The regular registration form may be used for this purpose.

You do not have to declare a party affiliation in Indiana; we have what are called Open Primaries. You declare the party ballot you want at the polls on Primary Election days.

Are you a college student? You can register at your school or vote absentee from your home address. (See section on voting absentee.)

If you will 18 years old by General Election day, but not by Primary Election Day, you may vote in the Primary Election, but only to nominate the General Election candidates. You may not vote for candidates or issues in a nonpartisan election (like school board) held during the Primary Election.

Voter registration forms are available at branches of the Muncie Public Libraries; you can register in person at the Voter Registration office in the Delaware County Building,at a township trustee office, or at branches of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The form is also available online at or After you print and complete the form, mail it to Delaware County Board of Voter Registration, 100 West Main Street, Room 200, Muncie, IN 47305.

To register to vote you must be a citizen of the United State, be at least 18 years of age on or before the General Election, live in your precinct for at least 30 days before the next election, and not be in prison.


An Indiana driver license, Indiana photo ID card, US passport, and military ID (including those with expiration dates of INDEF) qualify as IDs for registration. The name must be reasonably close to the information you provide on your registration form. The ID must display an expiration date. If you do not drive, you can obtain a photo ID for voting purposes at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at no charge.

There are exemptions for the indigent, for those with religious objections to being photographed, and for those living in a state-licensed facility that is their polling place.

To learn more, visit or call the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 888-692-6841.

Your Rights as a Voter

Indiana law requires that polling places and voting machines be accessible to the elderly and disabled. In the past, some polling places have not met this requirement. If you think your polling place does not comply with accessibility requirements, contact Delaware County Commissioners at 747-7730. To file a grievance about your precinct’s accessibility, call the Hoosier Voter Hotline at 1-866-IN-1-VOTE (866-461-8683).

If you need assistance at the polls, ask one of the precinct judges to help you. One is a Democrat and one is a Republican; they are required by law to provide assistance to you. You can also designate someone to help you who is not your employer or union official. The person who assists you must fill out an Affidavit of Voting Assistance before helping you at the voting booth. No one who assists you may disclose how you voted.

You may request a provisional ballot and vote if your qualification to vote is challenged for one of the following reasons:

1) You can’t present a photo ID that meets state requirements.

2) Your name isn’t on the poll list.

3) You don’t currently reside in the precinct, but your name is listed on the poll list.

4) You are not a US citizen.

5) You are not 18 years old at the time of the election.

6) Your signature does not match that on the registration record.

7) You are not affiliated with the party claimed at a primary election. (If this happens, you can fill out a challenged voter’s affidavit and use a regular ballot.)

Your provisional ballot will be kept separate from the other ballots and delivered to the Election Board after the polls close. You have until noon 10 days after the election to provide the Election Board with the documentation supporting you claim to the right to vote. You may contact the Election Board to find out if they accepted your provisional ballot.

Under Indiana Law it is unlawful to:

1) intimidate a voter

2) pay a voter to cast a vote for or against any candidate

3) tamper with any voted ballot

4) disclose how another person voted

5) vote at a polling place that you know is not your legal polling place.

To report possible fraudulent election activities, notify the Election Board or prosecutor or call the Hoosier Voter Hotline at 1-866-IN-1-VOTE (866-461-8683).

Non-Partisan Information on Candidates and Issues

Want help in deciding what candidate to support? Check out this pub from LWVUS…

League of Women Voters national voter information:

League of Women Voters of Indiana:

Project Vote Smart provides research on elected officials and candidates to strengthen the most essential component of democracy — access to information: